Monday, June 09, 2008

Don't Count the Revolver Short...


Though semiautomatic handguns are probably more popular now than ever before, I submit that the good ol' double-action revolver remains a most useful tool, still capable of tasks as varied as informal target practice, plinking or potting small game to the infinitely more serious business of self-protection.

This is the very common S&W Model 10 HB. These things did yeoman service with untold police departments and I believe them to be viable defensive arms today.

Don't get me wrong! In no way am I saying anything against the semiautomatic handgun! Like many of you, I own and use these on a daily basis.

That said, I do not believe that the good ol' double-action revolver is quite ready to lay down and die. With the ever-increasing number of states allowing honest citizens to legally carry concealed handguns, we are actually seeing a resurgence in revolver popularity. I for one do not see this as a "bad thing."

This is an early S&W Model 642. It is a popular 5-shot .38 Special revolver and is capable of delivering a fairly potent blow in practiced hands. Constructed of aluminum alloy and stainless steel, the gun requires little cleaning and is both lightweight and compact, factors that aid in its role as a concealed carry handgun or secondary role as a backup gun.

I am now retired from police work. Today's orbits are very tame compared to before. Instead of helping with some arrest or search warrant, planning some tactical operation or just going to scene after scene of cruelty and crime, I feed ducks or cook something on the grill. At the same time, I have never forgotten "what" is actually "out there" and for that reason, I legally carry 24/7 whenever possible. For me, a lightweight snubnose 38 Special fits the bill perfectly.

At the same time, I now rate having fun as a high priority and again I find the revolver serving me well. If you are reading this, you are likely a shooting enthusiast. You may be a target shooter, take part in club matches or be a handgun hunter. Some folks just enjoy shooting as an outlet and I am one.

Once again, I find that a quality revolver can also serve very well in pursuit of plain old fun.


This S&W Model 28 is a workhorse of a .357 built on the company's N-frame "chasis". This one is wearing a set of long-discontinued Fitz "Gunfighter" stocks. This revolver is very entertaining to shoot, handling magnums with ease.

Again, it is my opinion that while there is nothing at all wrong with the autopistol, don't be too quick to overlook the double-action revolver. You might find a most useful resource in this genre of handgun. I have seen more than one dedicated "electric gun" fan become enamored of the "round gun" despite repeated efforts not to or exercises in "logic".

The double-action revolver has proven itself a capable ally if going in harm's way as well as a provider of fun under safe conditions at the range. It has put food on the table and has a most easy-to-understand manual of arms. The double-revolver can be a gun for the whole family or the solitary individual.

Best.